Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Scratching my Head

I was listening to the radio on the way into work today enjoying country music--a great way to start off any day. The station that I was listening to needed to break for commercials and I left the radio untouched rather than switch to another station. I heard a commercial that struck me as both annoying and ironic. Although I don't remember the words verbatim, it basically unfolded as follows.

Little Girl: "Daddy, what are you doing?"

Dad: "I'm reading about my investments."

Little Girl: "What's an investment?"

Dad: "An Investment is like owning small part of a company. Mine are going up; that's good."

Little Girl: "How do you know what companies to invest in?"

Dad: "Because like you, I do my homework."

Little Girl: "So would you say sending me to Challenger School was a good investment?"

Dad: "Yes, that was a great investment."

The commercial then proceeded to inform listeners of the benefits of sending children to Challenger School over public schools.

I found it odd because I have no idea how that little could conclude that sending her to Challenger School was a good investment given the definition of investment proposed by her father. To the little girl, an investment is simply owning a small piece of a company yet she reasoned that going to school somehow fell under that umbrella. Either Challenger School is doing wonders for that little girl enabling her to make that jump or Challenger School needs to rethink the logic in its commercials (not good when the product offered is an alleged unmatched education).

1 comment:

  1. I just re-read this post. I laughed harder this time, truly a ridiculous radio ad.

    If you want some more amazingly bad ads, look for the hawaii chair, and the comfort wipe infomercials.

    The radio ad is ridiculous because it features a contrived leap in logic. These are ridiculous for a billion reasons, but maybe the main one is that they are advertising the most inane products I can imagine.

    ReplyDelete